The essence of summer! Great for a picnic.
Tomato Basil Pie
One 10-in. prebaked piecrust
3 large tomatoes, sliced 3/8 inch thick (1 ½ lbs.)
1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
½ cup small-curd SMC cottage cheese
2 large SMC eggs
½ cup coarsely grated SMC mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly sprinkle the tomato slices with salt on both sides. Set the slices on paper towels to absorb the liquid as the slices drain. Set aside.
3. Place the basil , cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan and eggs in a food processor and blend well until well combined.
4. To assemble the pie, pat the tomatoes dry and line the bottom of the pie shell with the end pieces. Spoon the cheese mixture over them and spread to smooth. Arrange the remaining tomato slices in one overlapping layer over the top of the cheese mixture. Brush the top layer of tomato slices with a little oil and place the pie in the oven.
5. Bake until the edges of the crust are crispy and golden and the cheese mixture is firm enough that a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove and let cool for about 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cover and store in the refrigerator and serve the next day.